Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana is a welfare scheme launched by the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi. It aims to provide financial assistance to widows, certain categories of disabled persons and destitute women in Delhi. This article provides complete details about the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana including eligibility criteria, application process, required documents and more.
What is Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana?
The Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana is a social security pension scheme implemented by the Government of NCT of Delhi. It was launched in the year 1975 with the objective of enabling financial inclusion and providing social security cover to the vulnerable and disadvantaged sections of society like widows, disabled and destitute persons.
Under this scheme, eligible beneficiaries are paid a monthly pension amount credited directly into their bank accounts. This provides regular income support to the targeted groups allowing them to meet essential living expenses. Initially the scheme covered only widows and disabled persons but was expanded later to also include certain categories of destitute women lacking family support.
The Department of Social Welfare, Government of NCT of Delhi is the implementing authority for this scheme. The scheme derives its funding from annual state budgetary allocations and grants.
How to Apply for Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana?
Eligible applicants keen on availing old age pension under the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana can submit their application through the following process:
Step 1: Visit Nearby CSC Center
Applicants can visit their nearest Common Service Center (CSC) for online application submission and completion of documentation requirements. CSCs established by the Ministry of IT and Electronics facilitate delivery of essential public utility services, social welfare schemes, financial services at grassroots level through digital means. Visit website finder.csc.gov.in to locate nearest center.
Step 2: Collect Application Form
At the CSC, applicants can collect the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana application form available free of cost. Form can also be downloaded online at sgny.delhi.gov.in portal.
Step 3: Fill Application Form
Applicants then need to fill this form providing accurate personal and financial details as sought along with attaching ID and income proof documents. Form available in English and Hindi language.
Step 4: Submit Documents
Beneficiaries have to submit self-attested photocopies of documents
- Aadhaar Card
- Age Certificate
- Address Proof (Ration Card/Utility Bill/Voter ID)
- Widowhood Certificate (for widows by competent authority)
- Disability Certificate (by authorized medical officer)
- Affidavit declaring destitute status for eligible women
- Bank Passbook details along with cancelled cheque
Step 5: Application Tracking
After submission, applicants get a reference number using which they can track real time status updates across approval, sanction and disbursement stages. Queries if any can be raised through CSC portal, call centre or administrative officers managing the scheme.
Purpose of Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana
Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana serves the following key objectives:
- Provide Social Assistance – The core purpose is providing monetary assistance in the form of monthly pension to vulnerable groups like widows, disabled and destitute women for enabling their self-dependence and personal welfare in terms of steady income flow.
- Financial Inclusion – Direct bank transfer of monetary benefits compulsorily into Aadhaar linked bank accounts of beneficiaries serves the agenda of promoting financial inclusion. Even those lacking access to formal banking services are covered.
- Administrative Efficiency – Digital infrastructure around CSC centres and Aadhaar ecosystem offers seamless identity verification, disbursement and tracking to ensure administrative efficiency in beneficiary coverage. Eliminates pilferage risks associated with earlier cash transfers.
- Women Empowerment –Disabled persons, widows and destitute women represent specially disadvantaged sections battling social stigma and exclusion from economic participation. Pension income enhances agency, autonomy and social status.
The scheme recognizes deprived groups struggle for survival without family support and aims to enable human dignity and nurture their welfare.
Benefits of Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana
The monetary advantages offered by the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana to accepted applicants are highlighted below:
- Fixed Monthly Pension
All eligible and verified beneficiaries receive a defined pension amount credited to their bank accounts on a monthly basis through electronic transfer. This serves as a stable income source when lack of earning avenues or absence of family support causes financial adversity.
- Regular Scheme Updates
Members receive periodic notifications around disbursement credits, eligibility changes, verification procedures, etc. related to their scheme membership through official communication channels via SMS, emails and portal updates for seamless administration.
- Aadhaar Linkages
Integration with UIDAI’s Aadhaar platform offers seamless biometric authentication capability during onboarding. This eliminates fake applicants while enabling presence-less paperless payments to bank accounts.
- Toll Free Helpline Assistance
A centralized toll free helpline number set up offers assistance to applicants around onboarding, application status enquiries or grievances registration through trained call agents. Available in Hindi and English language for user convenience.
- Loss of Income Cover
The scheme protects members against destitution, hunger and homelessness in the event of personal tragedy, disability or absence of family care leading to total income loss. Allows the beneficiaries to afford rent, food and healthcare.
In a nutshell, the monetary assistance helps vulnerable citizens enjoy life with dignity through income security cover during turbulent times when regular earning means are disrupted for widows, disabled persons and impoverished women.
Eligibility Criteria for Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana
The eligibility parameters set under the scheme for applicants are:
• Indian citizenship is mandatory
• Should have age of at least 40 years
• Widows without family support can apply subject to income threshold
- Disabled persons with 40% or higher level of recognized disability
• Destitute women abandoned by family without current income sources.
Additionally, the applicant must also satisfy the following criteria:
• Permanent resident of NCT of Delhi region currently and over past 5 years.
• Annual family income should not exceed Rs. 72,000
• Must not be beneficiary under any alternative government welfare plans
Subject to verification around income statements and personal details along with submission of all documents, eligible beneficiaries get selection into the scheme.
Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana – Required Documents
The following self-attested documents copies have to be furnished by applicants during submission procedure:
- Recent Passport Size Photographs
- Proof of Age (Birth Certificate, Aadhaar Card, PAN Card etc.)
- Address Proof (Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, Ration Card, Utility Bills etc.)
- Widowhood Certificate issued by Competent Authority
- Disability Certificate issued by Government Hospital/Medical Board
- Income Certificate issued by DM/SDM/BDO
- Bank Passbook/Cancelled Cheque showing Account Details
- Self-Declaration Affidavit by Destitute Women applicants
- Proof of being Delhi Resident for 5+ years (through Ration Card, Voters ID etc.)
Pension Amount Under Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Scheme
At time launch in 1975, the monthly pension under Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana stood at ₹75 per individual. This pension amount has undergone periodic revisions over years through government approvals in keeping with rising cost of living and inflation rates.
As per latest 2022 details, the current monthly pension provided to accepted beneficiaries works out as follows:
- Widows: ₹2,500 Per Month
- 40-79% Disabled: ₹2,500 Per Month
- 80%+ Disabled: ₹5,000 Per Month
- Destitute Women: ₹2,500 Per Month
In case an individual is eligible under two separate categories as per prescribed eligibility parameters, the pension amount for only one category will be provided, whichever is higher.
The Delhi Department of Social Welfare functions as the implementing authority responsible for operational aspects of the scheme encompassing:
- Processing and verification of new applications along with documentations.
- Coordination with designated banks for fund transfer into registered beneficiary accounts.
- Monitoring pension credit status across beneficiaries database.
- Periodic review of beneficiaries through Aadhaar authentication.
- Grievance redressal around application or disbursal queries.
The Department interfaces with network of Common Service Centres at the ground level for facilitating the registration and application process through designated officers managing the scheme. Overall maintenance of beneficiary database, budget allocation from state government funds and monitoring the success of the scheme also comes under the Department’s ambit.
In summary, the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Yojana is a prestigious Delhi Government initiative enabling social welfare protection and financial freedom to marginalized groups like widows, differently abled persons and sections of deprived women through monthly pension support. Digital onboarding processes and Aadhaar integration for verification along with electronic transfer of benefits makes it seamless and efficient. Expansion of allocation amounts along with optimal utilization of budgets can enhance the scope and effectiveness of this scheme in protecting livelihoods of disadvantaged citizens.